Saturday, June 20, 2009

The Earth is Filled...

I've been to the Canadian Rockies, the Colorado Rockies, many beautiful spots in Michigan, Mammoth Cave, and many other amazing places in the US. I've yet to see many more things (for example, I've never been to the Grand Canyon). I love those days when you get to visit amazing places that happened by chance over billions of years because of a big bang... J/K.

We're staying in Greenville, SC, and heading to Atlanta tomorrow. Yesterday, we decided to take a day trip up to Asheville just because we heard it's a cool town nestled in the mountains, and we had no idea where to go or what to do, but we went anyway. After lunch, we visited a botanical garden which was helpful for Aidan, and then thought we'd try to find the Blue Ridge Parkway. I think it was a God-ordained thing because we found it within 5 minutes, not only the highway, but it's headquarters and a visitor center. We set off to the North on the Parkway, winding up and up, stopping now and then at awesome overlooks.

Eventually, we made our way to Mount Mitchell, parking at the summit. I was a little surprised at myself for how amazed I was. It was one of those moments that come few and far between for me, but often in the mountains, where I found myself in tears over the beauty, majesty, and wonder that I saw. I literally could not help but audibly praise God. I was reminded of the familiar song found in several places in the Bible, and often sung today in songs, "Holy, Holy, Holy is the Lord God Almighty, the earth is filled with Your glory."

The beauty of God is unsurpassed. Whatever we have created that we think is beautiful, (and it IS, because God's made us in his image to reflect his beauty), God is far more beautiful, and his creation so much more amazing. Standing there I felt COMPELED. It is a compelling beauty. It propels you toward God, toward worship. I could not have asked for a better adventure for yesterday. May we seek out these kinds of moments in our daily lives, on top of mountain summits or not.

BTW, I think it's awesome that at 10 months, Aidan's already been at the highest elevation east of the Mississippi! What awesome adventures are yet to come!