Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The Twenties: Decade in Review: 20

20. On the eve of my birthday, 1999, I was just starting my junior year of college in Grand Rapids, MI. I was living at home, just coming off of a summer of doing construction all day every day, building and repairing homes. That year was about transition, as my parents began to follow God's leaving to move again into foster care, somewhere away from Michigan. It was interesting having just the four of us at home, no foster kids.

I was torn between hanging out with the crowd at Reformed Bible College (now Kuyper) who were conservatively minded theologically, and those who were into what we called "Praise and worship music." I sort of hung out with both, tried to do my studying or hanging out with friends in the evening, and not spend so many nights at home.

Soon after the end of the school year, we had sold our house in Rockford, I moved into the on-campus apartments, and my brother graduated high school and drove to Clovis, NM, to live with my parents on a 6000-acre ranch. That summer I worked with my Uncle and my Grandpa building homes, returning in the evenings to hang with the few students left on campus over the summer. We often watched movies or played board games. I ate far too many $1 totino's pizzas. It was my first few months of life without parental authority nearby.

No comments: