Monday, September 3, 2007

First Thoughts

I have a whole bunch of thoughts that I could begin with, so I'll list them for you tonight, then maybe expand on them later.

1. I don't consider myself to be a great blogger, so we shall see how this goes. I figured that since my wife is blogging, my new boss and pastor is blogging, a host of great church leaders are blogging (not that I'm a great church leader, but aspire to be one), and tons of other people do, I'd join in.

2. Anyone reading this is probably aware that I recently started a new job as the administrative director at Grace Fellowship. It has been a major shift, probably more major than I even realize at this time; it's still surreal to finally be in full time minstry.

3. I will be figuring out in the next few days/weeks what this blog will be in terms of my authenticity. I consider myself to be authentic to a fault, at times putting my size 11, bunion-deformed foot into my even bigger and also deformed (born with Cleft Lip) mouth. See what I mean? I suspect that one day some people from our church will regularly be reading my blog as well as others, and I hope that I can be real about my own sin and struggles and still be an effective church leader.

4. Speaking of being a leader, I feel like a beginner, and I thought about titling this blog "thoughts of a beginner." But I've been in and around ministry of all kinds for most of my life, but never in full-time capacity. I've worked labor jobs of all kinds, gone to school most of my life, and done ministry on the side. But now, I'm all in. It's the beginning of a journey, and I don't know what's ahead. And I feel hungry to know the One who is my Guide, I feel a bit distant from Him, and I know I want more.

5. When I worked for Orange County, there was this guy in his late 50's, he'd worked for the county nearly 30 years, barely knew how to read or write, but I really enjoyed working with him. He was a lot of fun. When I first got out there with him down in a hole he watched me dig for five minutes, then he said, "Get out of the hole for a minute. You ain't doin' it right. I'm fi'na show you how ta dig. My man, when you get up in the morning, you got ta WANT IT. When I wake up in the morning, I WANT IT!" Over the next few months, nearly every morning he would stroll up to me and ask me if I wanted it that day. So...do you "want it" today?

1 comment:

anne girl said...

Welcome to the world of blogging! I love reading your heart, and I know others will, too. Love you.