Monday, September 17, 2007

Maawidge is what bwings us togetha here today

Last night we crammed about 16 of us into a room smaller than my wife and I's bedroom at the church offices and began a three week journey of discussion about marriage. You guys all remember the title line, I hope (you might not if you're just a few years younger than me...) Mike's sermon on Sunday was awesome, he just talked about some of the basic needs of men and women in order to encourage husbands and wives as to how to love each other well.

The idea of self-sacrifice, laying down your life for the other, is basic. This is easy to talk about but so tough to apply in our lives. Countless marriages are being lost today because we are so focused on ourselves. Last night in the group we watched a sermon by Andy Stanley where he talked about iMarriage... I marriage, where we enter into a contract and focus on what I want and I need and then how the other person fails to hold up their end of the bargain. Honestly, did Christ enter into a contract with us, or a covenant of unconditional love? He said, "This command I give you: As I have loved you, so you also love one another."

No comments: