Thursday, October 25, 2007

Choir Practice. And Love.

My Mom and Grandma (Mom's mom) flew in this afternoon. I called my Grandma just to check in with her and related that I wouldn't be seeing them tonight as they're driving to their hotel and settling in and we have rehearsal. My mom lives in Amarillo where there's no traffic and she has to go from OIA to Altamonte Embassy Suites. So that'll be enough for one day for them. Anyways, later on in the conversation, my Grandma repeats back to me, "Oh that's right, I won't be seeing you until tomorrow because you have choir practice."

Boy are they in for a shocker on sunday when they come to church. I'm going to remind them to sit near the back and be ready for the music to be loud. And be ready to hear hymns like they've never been done before (We're doing O Worship the King and O For 1000 Tongues). It's such a contrast what I grew up with and what they love compared to what even I grew up with, then progressing to what we do at Grace. And if you're not a Grace attender and you're reading this, NO we don't have a choir. My wife is the choir. She sings whatever part no one else is singing.

Monday and then today I've been really contemplating love. Agape love. The kind of love in Matthew 22:37-40, which Jesus said is the greatest command. I'm really being challenged to face how deep my love is for God in daily life. I mean when I'm caught up and feeling it in worship I have huge love for God, but when I'm typing away at my desk or hanging out at the apartment, am I dialed in to my love for Him? Am I then dialed into living others equally to the way I love myself?

I watched Francis Chan's message from Passion 07 on "Loving God in a Lukewarm Church." I highly recommend it. I really do love God, but I felt convicted about the words in Revelation about the lukewarm church. Studying the Bible in my college and even some of my seminary years I always thought this meant they weren't filled with the knowledge and surrender to the Sovereign God who foreordained them from eternity. I guess I just somehow skipped over the simplicity of it. Do you really love God or are you a poser? Are you filled with amazement and awe at how he's loved you and just can't help but respond with love back? I hope that as He gives me the strength I can dial back into this love. I am feeling that momentum building in my life and I'm liking in. And I'm a little scared. It's not passion--well, it is---but, its what is expected! Thoughts are a-stirring....

No comments: