Sunday, January 6, 2008

Lead Me to the Cross

I found myself carrying a literal cross this this morning at church. I was setting it up, then later taking it down after our "cross-nailing" ceremony. It was interesting bringing my own burdens to the cross--while people wrote theirs down and "nailed" them to the cross (with thumbtacks), I rehearsed them in my mind while playing guitar on stage. I ended up bringing those to His cross, and then literally carrying the cross reminded me of Christ's word to each of those who follow him. "If anyone would come after me, let him take up his cross and follow me." Paul said we share with Christ in his sufferings and resurrection. I do feel like I'm taking up the cross and following him, one step at a time. Be it ever so imperfectly, at times grudgingly, at times complaining, at times even throwing it aside for a little water break. There is no way I would be on this road without Him empowering me, without Him even leading me to His own cross.

We sang a song this morning that said "You're the defender of the weak, you comfort those in need, you lift us up on wings like eagles." I've had one of those weeks where by today I felt the weight of the cross. I'm glad for it; there honestly is a deeper joy that I think lingers under the surface of weariness and business as I try to keep all the balls in the air and inevitably drop a few. I'm encouraged by worshipping God with these words, acknowledging that He is my defender, and that no matter how strong I think I am, I am weak. Another song that I don't like all that much just popped in my head only for the line that I can remember that is awesome--"His cross will never ask for more than I can give, for it's not my strength but His..." I need to be reminded of this 1000 times a day, even this week I know I will need to hear it. If you see me this week, refer me to Tozer's prayer:

"Ride forth upon me as Thou didst ride into Jerusalem mounted upon the humble little beast, a colt, the foul of an ass, and let me hear the children cry unto Thee, 'Hosanna in the highest!" Amen."

1 comment:

SLM said...

I'm so bummed that I missed that song at church today. Worship is always so amazing at Grace, and I hate missing any part of it.