Wednesday, July 16, 2008

A Couple Useful Apps

I've been bad about contributing to blogs in the last week or so. Writer's block and busyness has kept me away. I just figure you can keep up with things going on in my day by twitter updates to the right. By the way, if you are someone that likes to be connected to community through online technology, you ought to consider Twitter. If you are one of those people who is still a little wiggy about technology, let me just encourage you--the world is changing. Twitter is SO 12 months ago. I mean, if I'm on it, that means it's been around for a while because I'm a late bloomer. Anyway, twitter is great if you have a data plan on your phone, you can twitter through texting. On my computer, I use Twirl.

Another great app is Jott, again compatible and inter-faceable with so many other applications. The whole thing uses voice recognition and you can twitter, remind yourself of things to do, make grocery lists, and even dictate your blog by calling an 800 number. And, it's all free.

As an administrator, I tend to have to call many different customer service numbers, and inevitably I end up having to navigate the phone tree to find a real person (Edison must be turning in his grave at the invention of phone trees). NO LONGER!--Enter Bringo. Just select the company you're trying to call, enter your phone number, and wait for Bringo to call you back. When they do, you'll be in the queue for the next available rep. And be careful, sometimes the rep answers as soon as you're connected.

So get on out there and use technology, that's what it's there for! Anything that makes me more effective in my task of helping people take their next step toward Christ, even if it's calling an 800 number, I ought to be using it. Using the resources we have been given is just good stewardship.

1 comment:

Garrick Boyd Photography said...

Great post, Jason and oh, so true! Twitter and Jott are awesome. Even though Jott generally helps me offset the time I lose to Twitter, I feel more connected, am developing relationships and forget fewer things (I think). You can even add things to your calendar, todo list, Twitter and blog with it...all by voice. All my Jott's show up in my email, so it's hard to miss (unlike that silly voice recorder on my cellphone) It's the only number other than my wife on my speed dial (#5).

Late bloomer? Don't you mean "late adapter"?

:)