Monday, February 9, 2009

Do What It Says

On what standard or basis do we live our lives as Christians day to day? The answer that anyone who has been doing church for a while is "The Bible." Of course, that is the right answer, but do we sometimes just have the right answer but not live it out? How many people in churches today read the Bible on a regular basis, and look to God in His Word for sustenance, wisdom, truth, and practical instruction? I know some of you readers do exactly that. Sadly, some Christians haven't opened a Bible except on Sunday mornings in a long time.

I confess, daily devotions have always been a struggle for me. It was always about "doing devotions" and feeling tremendously guilty when I failed to do them. I disappointed God by neglecting Him and his Word. But guilt in this circumstance needs to lead to desire, a desire for God and his Word. A desire to live the life that he has for me. Lately that desire has rekindled. It started when I read Luke over Christmas break. I started into Acts and I'm only halfway through. But the more I dig in and read and study, I'm finding my relationship with God growing.

Do you feel disconnected from God? Do you need an answer? Do you feel something missing in your life? Try reading his Word. Then try doing what it says.

No comments: