Saturday, May 17, 2008

Packing and Painting

It is common among preachers and their kind to be quite proud of a large library. The subject of how much wall space or how many volumes comes up every now and then. I used to be quite proud of mine, as I acquired much of it before coming to Florida, then added to it little by little over the Seminary years.

But those who've known me since I first moved to FL know that I've moved I think 8 times in 7 years, and I haven't moved in 3 years until now. Each time, my library gets smaller and smaller. I find myself perusing books that I have had and carted around all these years and never opened. I am deeply grateful to those who contributed so much to my library in the early years by giving me first dibs as they downsized their libraries when they were moving. Now I find myself doing the same.

I was even more ruthless this time though--all these years I've kept many notes, old tests and papers from both Bible College and Seminary. Today, I threw out 3/4 of it. I didn't throw it out of my head and heart, just out of my closet. I even threw out all the duplicate copies of my pictures from my trip to the Holy Land back in 1998. We have three medium sized boxes of books to go to the used bookstore with, and Anne brought a few things to goodwill the other day and we're making another pile. We're making good progress! I'll be really happy if I can fill up my 4Runner one more time with stuff for the dumpster. I don't know that it'll happen though.


We did a few things to get ready for church in the morning (which will be awesome!), and then got of Hot Dog Heaven fix. I swear I've never had a better hot dog or better fries. Ever. After that, we made our way to the new place for an afternoon of painting for me. I painted the nursery, so that all that's left is a second coat of the sage green color on two of the walls. When it's all done, pics will follow. Looking forward to our little boy being in there!

And now I part to watch August Rush!

1 comment:

SLM said...

One day I'll make it to Hot Dog Heaven. Enjoy! :-) Have some of that special ice cream from Mackinaw Island.