Friday, May 2, 2008

Howdy-Ho!

I can't say I'm a fan of the show South Park, but there are many like me who have at least seen a few minutes of it, enough to be familiar with Mr. Hankey. The show is based on a real area, one that we drove through today, on the high plains off 285. So, my wife insisted...



Today I drove the second most beautiful drive I think I've ever driven in the mountains. The most beautiful is the Icefields parkway in Alberta north of Banff. Today, Anne and I drove 285 from Conifer to Buena Vista, CO. At one point about 30 miles from Conifer, you come around this bend around the side of a mountain (down from 10,000 feet to about 9500), to look out on a huge, expansive open plain. For 40 miles, route 285 makes its way through the plain, surrounded by snowcapped mountains.



Eventually, you drive through one last pass, and again come around a bend, to behold the Collegiate Peaks and the town of Buena Vista lying at their feet. Pretend you're in the driver's seat of your rented 2008 Toyota Highlander:



I love it here. Anne loves it here. I have to be honest. Listening to the line "Savior, He can move the mountains, my God is mighty to save..." while looking at this scenery! Very inspiring.

A friend recently suggested that the air up here is God's breath. It was sure blasting across the high plains today--drove through some 60 mph gusts. At one point, we were behind a semi that was fighting to stay on the road in this wind but still maintaining 70 mph speed. I cranked the toyota up to 100mph to get ahead of him--while blaring Kyrie by Mr. Mister. Exhilarating!

1 comment:

Garrick said...

HA! Sounds like you guys are having a great time. Sending bigger mountain pics (and smaller Mr. Hankey). Speaking of Mr. Hankey...you shunned SouthPark, yet hold on to Mr. Mister? Funny :)