Thursday, October 16, 2008

Check Out Thirdmill.org

Catching up with one of my professors at RTS, through Facebook, reminded me to check out the ministry he founded a number of years ago, that has continued to grow and expand around the world in its impact. Thirdmill has a very specific mission statement, and I love it: "Third Millennium Ministries' mission is to equip church leaders in their own lands by creating a multimedia seminary curriculum in five major languages in fifteen years."

Why is this such a beneficial and important ministry? Because those seeking to shepherd the flock of Jesus need to be careful to know God's Word. Seminary exists as one avenue for those seeking ministry to be guided and educated in their understanding of God's Word. I could get into a long sidetrack about the discussion between those who insist seminary isn't necessary for effective ministry because most seminaries are no longer relevant, and those who believe Seminary is vital because without it there's greater danger of error being taught, but I won't. My Seminary education was very valuable for me, but there's so much I didn't know, and am still learning now that I'm actually IN full time ministry. For example, I learned a lot about preaching and got some pretty good practice at it under teachers like Steve Brown, but probably the most valuable tool for me to hone my skills in my specific setting at Grace has been Andy Stanley's book Communicating for a Change.

Anyway, Thirdmill is bringing what I believe to be solid, Biblical teaching into a format that is probably the most accessible I've ever heard of. One could easily get a Seminary education through Thirdmill for a tiny fraction of what it cost me. And since, as I'm learning this month that I'm one of the richest people in the world simply because I own a house, I think it's important to have quality teaching available to those across the world who can't afford to come and go to Seminary for 3-4 years. It's clear that effective foreign mission work seeks to resource and support those who already believe within their respective communities. Thirdmill is a great place for Christians to begin to know the Word of God and what it says, to have a faith that is informed. For everyone, there are a ton of free resources online...check it out!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well put. I throughly agree! I'm a big fan of Third Mill and 100% support their mission.