Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Random Updates Edition ?????

I'm realizing tonight I have a lot of thoughts that I was twittering and instead of doing what some others do and twitter every five minutes, I thought I'd stop doing that and write it here.

I am NOT watching the debate, we decided not to break TV fast for it. I'm guessing it's just more attacks on each other instead of vision-casting anyway. Sorry that sounded rather bleak and critical, but that's generally the attitude I've had since the primaries. I feel the same way about whoever wins the presidency as I do about whether our markets continue to crash or not: whatever happens, I need to trust God.

I go back and forth between pouting and being sad that I'm not at Catalyst, and feeling guilty for pouting, or being completely OK with it since life is crazy enough anyway and trying to leave for three days would have been tough. Depending on how I feel from time to time over the next three days, I may waver between trying to check in on happenings through twitter/ustream, and just turning everything off so I can focus on my work here. Conferences are always fun, exciting, inspiring, etc., but I have three conferences worth of material that I'm still trying to apply anyway. As a staff we decided to be focused on Generous Life and all that is going on here at Grace rather than pull away in the middle of it for three days out of town and all the logistics that that entails.

Week one of our Generous Life small group was tonight. A good, though slightly small, group. Several of our peeps decided not to show, but we had a great time watching Andy Stanley teaching on the fact that based on my wife and I's income, we're in the top 1% income earners in the world. I felt the challenge to realize I'm incredibly blessed and to move from guilt to gratefulness about it, and to realize I need to be a good steward. There was so much more than that in it, but it's hard to put into words at the moment.

On a much different note, I found myself with an old bluegrass tune "Cluck Old Hen" in my head today. It's just one of many youtube videos that come up if you do a search for Sierra Hull. I don't know how old she is now, but in the video of Cluck Old Hen she's a sixth-grader and look at how she can play! In some of the other vids she plays an acoustic guitar instead of a mandolin, and her fingers move just as fast. Something happens in my heart, my jaw drops, and all I can say is "that's ridiculous" on some of these videos. You can tell she and her fellow musicians love what they do, have been doing it since they could walk, and strive to be good at it, because it inspires them, it's what makes them come alive. I find these fast ditties to be the kind of music that gets my heart pumping. I also love how most of the videos are home videos where these musicians gather in their homes to have hoedowns (or hootenannies).

Time to feed the little one. I hope to edit down a rather large amount of footage I have (family, get ready for a surprise in your mailbox) and post more video of him with all his cute noises and faces. It's fun being his dad. Tomorrow is the dreaded two-month appointment with all the shots. Hopefully that goes OK.

No comments: