Sunday, January 25, 2009

Running Mind Dump

I am trying to muster up the discipline to get into a running routine. Our schedules make it somewhat challenging. I managed to put Aidan in our jogging stroller, strap him in, don my ipod with the workout playlist, and set off into the afternoon sun. Thoughts...

--I always enjoy running, I just don't like doing it early in the AM and evenings don't work well for the most part.
--I listened to a live version of "The Way it Is" by Bruce Hornsby--twice. It's absolutely, hands down, one of the best jams ever. The ending is sooooooo intense! Wish there were more Christian jam bands. The closest I've found is Waterdeep's live albums from the 90's.
--It is possible to listen to Bruce Hornsby and have a God-moment.
--I kept running beside the stroller every now and then to check on Aidan, and eventually he fell asleep. There was a powerful moment where I thought about me as Aidan's dad--working hard, exerting myself, running, not necessarily on his behalf (this is where the metaphor breaks down). I thought about God, who never slumbers or sleeps. Our heavenly Father is always working, sustaining, providing, busy, being Daddy, even when we're sleeping.
--My mind also wandered to Rob Bell's first Nooma video where he had his son strapped in and held him close to his chest, and was the strength and encouragement that helped him through the middle of the raging storm.
--It all made me want to do more running with Aidan. Today a friend at church talked about he and his wife's recent trip to Africa where they climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro. An amazing adventure. I'm so excited that I will get to take Aidan on more adventures! Even going out running with him is so fun!
--what if I rested in my sonship of Jesus the way Aidan rests in his sonship to me?

No comments: