Saturday, December 22, 2007

My Little Project Angel Tree

Over the past month, a couple of people from our church have been organizing Project Angel Tree at Grace. My wife and I were able to participate in it (it was an awesome event that was a big success as far as I know this morning), but still felt like we could do more in terms of giving away, rather than spending money on each other or family who are getting along just fine. A couple of times this month a single woman, we'll call her "J," has come into the office, asking for someone to pray for her. She's not a homeless woman, but she's having a hard go of it this Christmas.

J is in her 40's (by my guess), single, has a daughter who is currently in Prague teaching english, and J loves God. She recently moved to Orlando to go to culinary school, I don't know where. She was promised some hours at a local urban restaurant, I assume as a cook. She's been having trouble getting enough gas money to make the 8 mile trek from her apartment to work. She came into the office this week, and relayed that her total paycheck for the last two weeks is $325. She's driving her car without insurance, and praying, and desperate.

I will have a moment of vulnerability here and say when I first saw her, I was in conversation with someone else and my first instinct was to blow her off. God had other plans, and I found my heart softening. I confess I'm a bit ashamed, and am asking him to work more compassion in me, more willingness to look with love, to have God's eyes, and his heart toward others.

As J talked, she boldly asked if I could look around, or get the word out to people in the church, about some of her needs. I wrote down some of the basic things she needed, and took her address and phone number. I knew of a couple families, who felt like we did, that we could perhaps give a bit more to others this season, so I emailed them about her needs, and people came through.

Fast forward to noon today.

I drive up to this apartment complex located right smack dab next to the entrance to I-4 from 436. It's one of the noisiest, most crowded intersections in Orlando. J lives in a nice but modest one bedroom apartment, was sleeping on one of those chairs you see by a pool, and had only one other small piece of furniture. Enter me, with a 16' rental truck, which I open and pull out a brand new full size bed frame, mattress, and box spring, plus other boxes and gift bags. I helped J set up her bed with the mattress and box spring, then pulled out the sheets and blanket we had bought at Target. I didn't stay and watch her open the rest of what was there, but I know she won't have to pay for gas out of her own pocket for a month, hopefully, and she'll be cooking some decent food on her own stove this Christmas.

J was blown away. While I helped her, I talked about Grace doing this because we wanted to be Jesus' hands and feet. She seemed quite confident through her faith when she said that she hopes that next year this time, she can buy angel tree gifts, and be blessing others through the gift of preparing food. Who knows what other gifts God might have blessed J with. As I finished helping her and praying with her, she was moved to tears of joy, and I nearly was myself as we prayed together, and I prayed for God's blessing on her life, that he would be Emmanuel to her, and Jehovah Jireh, the Provider.

It felt good, for the first time in a long time, it seems like, to really substantially give hope, give life, give tangible evidence of the love of Jesus Christ, and to watch her receive. It hammered home to me that it is more blessed to give than to receive. Is that a Scripture text or just an old cliche? Whatever it is, I got it today.

No comments: