Thursday, December 20, 2007

A New Little One for Friends

Last night to wind down the day I went for a trip downtown to the 7th floor of city hall to get an open flame permit so we didn't get in trouble with our Christmas Eve candlelight service. That was a fiasco in itself but I'll spare you the details. Let's just say by the time I finally walked out of there right at 5:00, I was a bit miffed at traffic, bureaucracy, etc. But I took the detour to make the visit I'd been looking forward to all day--to see my Friends Mike and Kelly and their new baby girl, Katy Claire.

It was fun just hanging out with Mike and Kelly on the 9th floor of Winnie Palmer, just catching up on how things had been for them. Of course I spent equally as much time answering their questions about how things were with Grace, arrangements for Christmas Eve, and the few things I needed to run by them. But then Mike took me down to NICU, where Katy Claire is doing well, just placed there as a precaution because she's a premie by a few weeks. She is the cutest, most fragile, precious thing! It made me excited to have one of those some day. She was a bit fussy so I didn't hold her, but Mike did and I put my finger near her hand--that little bugger has a grip! It was fun to see her open her eyes a couple of times, and to watch Mike love on her.

I have pretty much no experience with babies, and what experience I do have, I just get a little wigged out, because I'm so afraid I'll do something wrong. But now with this image in my head of Katy Claire, I think there's something amazing, you can't put it into words, when you look there. My head doesn't yet understand it, but something in my heart connects with profound truth about the creature/Creator relationship. When I look at a little baby like Katy Claire, "Cute" doesn't scratch the surface. Maybe "holy"? I'm sure it's 100 times more powerful a feeling when it's your own kid popping outta there.

No comments: