Saturday, February 9, 2008

Ah Sweet Ecstasy!

I used to have this friend, an older guy who had been through a lot of tough health issues in his life. He has a relationship with Jesus that is especially unique, he can probably best be described as a mystic. Since he was single all his life, he would at times speak of being married to Jesus, and he'd refer to his quiet times (which he held in the middle of the night) sometimes as well....stimulating...at least highly emotionally capturing.

I went to see U2 3D at the Orlando IMAX theatre yesterday. I could almost describe it as that. The music and the energy has a way of really drawing you in. I remember when I saw the Vertigo tour in Tampa. Some of the songs, like "Still Haven't Found What I'm looking For", "City of Blinding Lights", and "40" were pure worship for me. People probably thought I was really weird raising my hands and saying "Hallelujah", literally in tears. Don't get me wrong, some of Bono's theology is a bit off, a bit misinformed, but he still deserves a lot of respect and credit. U2 is one of the tools that God has used to open many doors to the gospel I think. And to bring social justice to the world. Bono's a smart man, fluent in a least three languages I think, and familiar with a few phrases in many other languages. He has a way of engaging the audience and creating an invigorating experience. I could go on and on. Here's what I wrote on Fandango about the movie:

I'm not a real fanatic die hard U2 fan, but they're in my top five fo' sho'! The movie was great. It was visually stunning at times, what with the 3D and all. I saw the Vertigo tour in a small arena in Tampa. This was filmed at a soccer stadium in Buenos Aires--probably 100,000 in attendance. There's a lot of energy, it's like having a front row pass and then some as there are a lot of closeups of each of the band. If you're a guitarist like me, it's especially fun to watch the Edge because you get to see the fingering he uses a lot. I didn't give it the highest rating because there were some songs I would have liked to have seen on the big screen that weren't included--City of Blinding Lights and SHFWILF. Mysterious Ways would have been nice too. But there are a lot of other good songs. Worth every penny of $13.25 at the IMAX.

No comments: