Thursday, February 14, 2008

The Babysitter Almost Died

So, generally in my adult life, I've had little exposure to childcare or functioning as a teacher for kids younger than 5th grade. Those with whom I've had experience are usually controllable and listen, at least somewhat to what I say. But in the past, I've only had two at a time. Last night, I had the sole responsibility for childcare for no less than seven (7) kids. One being a 2 year old toddler who has the windpipes of an itinerant preacher and a temperament that reminds me a little of Stewie from Family Guy. That was the sole boy, the rest were girls ranging from 4 to 9 years old.

Henceforth I will call this babysitting even though I know they're not all babies. There are factors at work when I babysit: Kids know how to play the game. They know that when their parents aren't around the rules change, and they seem to have an ability to read me and understand how far they can push the limit. The other factor is that when it's other people's kids, I never know how/when to put the hammer down. What is allowed and what isn't? Every parent has different opinions and rules for their kids. What Beth does in GraceKids is she prints out a list of a few basic rules. But how do you communicate those rules to a two year old? Thus far in our childcare for our small groups, we haven't had a rules card.

Well, the result last night was just a lot of kids doing cartwheels, running and literally bouncing off the walls (which I of course put an end to as much as I could), toys kind of going everywhere, water being spilled, and everyone getting second helpings of goldfish. Why couldn't they all just sit down and peacefully watch Curious George from beginning to end? I wouldn't expect that from a two year old boy of course, but some of the others... Sigh....

Of course, it's clear that the kids worked me over and knew exactly how to play me last night. I just hope our childcare workers will be back in gear starting Saturday for us. I also appreciate paying them well for what they do. And it's all worth it to see people in the small groups getting something out of the content and the relationship building.

3 comments:

Carol said...

First, taking care of a group of active kids at the end of a long day would try the patience of Job!

Second, most people don't realize that working for a church, any church, is a 24/7 job. So, when you reach that time when others go home for dinner or out for a class, you are just looking at the second shift!

Unknown said...

Jason, I understand your feelings on taking care of several kids completely. As a middle school teacher, they even come with wild hormone shifts and "ATTITUDE." Add a good dose of rebellion mixed with teen awkwardness, and it makes for a lively day.

Emphasize procedures. Procedures simply are how we do things. Rules are different than procedures; they have consequences if not followed (time out, not going to lunch early, a referral). Remember to praise them/reward them for following procedures well, even at a young age, and they will love it.

Rehearse procedures. Kids and teenagers do not naturally have courtesy written into their heads like us adults do (Yeah right!). They need to be taught how to do things in every situation.

If you do not fill the vacuum with procedures from Day One, children and even adults will fill the void with their own rules/chaos.

Feel free to adopt or disregard above-said comments from your teaching brother-in-law at your own choosing and cost.

Or better yet, google "Harry Wong and teaching". He stands as the master of teaching/young person crowd control! His book is gold and easy to understand. And yes, that is his name!

Almost like Keith Sweat song is my line: "There's a right and a 'Wong' way to teach somebody."

And anyone who willingly cares for other people's kids should be nominated for sainthood, so be kind to yourself. It is a calling and an art form.

Donald

Kelly said...

Ha! Just wait till you have your own. The confusion and second-guessing is even worse, because instead of figuring out to do on one night, you'll realize that you actually have to live with your discipline decisions and their consequences PERMANENTLY.

And I agree with Carol about the 24/7 part. It's hard to leave it at the door....