Monday, February 18, 2008

Iwantitis

I love this car.I watched this TV movie last night that was kind of lame but had a sweet version of this car, the GT500 KR ("king of the road"). If I was in a place to get a sports car, this is what I would get. The stock GT500 is actually priced at only $44,000, which is not to bad compared to some of the car prices out there. Of course, it's about $40,000 more than I can really afford right now, but still, it's fun to dream.

It's all part of the interesting up and down of the last two weeks in my life in regards to my thinking about finances. It's a study in contrasts: what I have vs. what I want, am I first priority in my spending vs. is God first priority, my money vs. God's money of which I'm a steward, a godly perspective on money and tithing and giving to the poor vs. American culture's "I Want-itis." My friend Dave in his sermon yesterday talked about the general idea of having the right perspective on our money, and not allowing the consumer mentality with its frankly sinful desires, to take over our lives. Every time our nation goes through tough financial times, we all have to dial back into this area of what we do with our money. I sense that some of the people in our church are ready to take it seriously, especially as we start to look toward our giving campaign that will start in the fall.

Some resources I suggest:

Watch or listen to Andy Stanley's whole sermon series called "Take It to the Limit." It's all about margin in our lives, and that God wants us to have more of it. SO AWESOME. I mean, this teaching is right on, and two weeks of it are directly about money. Also, many of our people are also enrolling into our small group offered this spring called "Good Sense," which is a curriculum available through Willow Creek Church. There are tons of courses like this and everybody has different opinions on which is the best. I think figuring out the money issue is worthy for everyone, whether you do the books in your home or not, because "where your treasure is, there is your heart." My wonderful mother-in-law wrote on this. If you haven't read her blog, get a google sign in name and read her blog.

The celtic band Iona has a great song reminding us that God treasures us. (Yes, the video is early 90's.)