Thursday, August 7, 2008

Husbandry and Fatherhood

I'm sitting in the sanctuary at the church listening to rehearsal, where Anne is playing keyboards. For nearly a week now she's had a bad cold and cough. Her coughing has really affected her sleep, it's the hard, loud cough where your whole body tightens up. And being 38 weeks pregnant she can't take any meds to make herself feel better. All day today, she's been having contractions, pre-labor, not actual labor, but as the day has progressed she's gotten more uncomfortable. As King Theoden would say, "And so it begins!"

I'm just really proud of her, because last weekend she came and played keyboards even though she was sick and had no voice. Here she is again, contractions and all but all about serving God and his people in worship. Our son seems to enjoy rehearsals too; ever since Anne could feel him kick, he seems to do it a lot during rehearsal and Sunday services. He definitely shouldn't have a problem hearing it, since I'd say rehearsal is running at around 110db. ROCK ON! BTW, worship this Sunday is going to be awesome!


Last night we watched Disney's "Bridge to Terabithia." While I admit it certainly was not the greatest movie ever, it wasn't as bad and as far off as I thought it would be. What I really felt connected to as I watched was Jesse's father, played actually quite well by the mercury guy from Terminator 2. At first they brought out the side of him that was a gruff, hard, and frequently absent dad who wanted his son to be a man. But as the story unfolded, and tragedy struck, he stepped into nurturing his son, guiding him through pain and sadness with comforting words and a steady hand. He ran to stop his son, who was alone and afraid in the woods, and he held him and hugged him as he broke down. It made me so excited to be a dad. I'm looking forward to every stage of his life and fathering him. I hope he and I build a great relationship and friendship. One book I plan to start over and finish this time is The Way of the Wild Heart. Very helpful to set the tone to raise a passionate man of God.

No comments: