Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Prayers of the Fathers

Last week I found myself with Mike touring the new facility of a church I used to be quite involved at. When I opened the door, the first person I saw was a good old friend named Bruce, a man who is very close to Jesus. Having survived a long and agonizing fight with terminal illness, he loves the local church, and loved me and many of the friends I hung with when I was there. As we walked through the building I caught up with him, and he happened to mention that he still prays for me every day. I've heard this statement from several people throughout my life, people who I consider to be much older and wiser in the faith journey than me. It's pretty awesome to know they care enough to lift me up in their prayers.

As we get closer to God and more intentional about time with him, and do the same with others, this is great discipline to develop. Other people need our prayers. I'm convinced that my life has been seriously impacted, that God has blessed me and directed my life, in part because of the prayers of others. What are the major things you need to pray for right now? Who do you need to pray for? Pick 3-5 people in your life whom you think could use an answer to prayer.

No comments: