Monday, December 15, 2008

Gossip

Why do we love gossip so much? I'll be the first to admit I want to know the skinny on things, what's going on with people, etc. One theory is that it's a passive form of pride--I'll feel better about myself knowing I'm not like that person. Hmmm...sounds a little like something from the Gospels...

Maybe the golden rule applies here, along with the principle of the plankeye (Matthew 7). If I don't want people talking behind my back about me and my failures, then I probably shouldn't do that to others. This includes family. For this to work, I need to admit that I have failings and shortcomings--work on my own junk before I start pointing fingers. This is a posture of humility.

If you're disappointed with the sins and failures of another, try this:

1. Pray for them. A lot. All the time. Lift them up to God and his will in their lives.

2. Encourage them by standing with them, letting them know that you are FOR them, you love them. Say this often.

3. Speak and act with GRACE and TRUTH. Grace is not tolerance of sin, and Truth is not judgment and condemnation. Before you speak, pray for wisdom in your words, and think about what you will say.

4. Share your struggles and disappointment with others wisely, sparingly, and hopefully. If the person's offenses are directly against you, that's a different situation, and you need people around you to hold you up and pray for you--you are right to share your sorrows with others. But if you are just bringing others into the know about a situation that doesn't impact them directly, ask yourself whether it benefits any party involved for you to share this news. Only share what is necessary with those who need to hear it.

No comments: